Welcome to “IDS 2935: The Future of Rain Forests”.
Tropical Rain Forests cover approximately 15% of the Earth’s land surface but contain over 50% of the world’s biodiversity. They are also the home to millions of people, the source of products central to our lives, shape global climate, and are being cleared at unprecedented rates. In this Quest 2 class we will investigate the same fundamental questions asked by scientists that study rain forests:
- Why are we fascinated by rain forests?
- How have stereotypes about them permeated everything from pop culture to international relations?
- What gave rise to their remarkable biodiversity?
- What are the drivers and consequences of deforestation?
- Is rain forest conservation compatible with socioeconomic development?
The menu will take you to pages with more information on the course content, instructor, and the how it meets the GenEd requirements.